Friday 25 November 2011

J-School, A place to learn, A place to grow

Five months. And for the first time ever, I have the courage to tell a large group of people that I have seen life. It was not until I entered the premises of my favourite J-School did I realise the reason the personalities of people. My professor did tell me that the key to being a good journalist is to be a good human being. Strange but true. You never know what you are looking for unless you know what it feels like. Camera techniques and production methodologies can always be discussed and taught. Thanks to you tube and video conferencing it is now possible for one to learn more from those sitting miles away. But what J-School does teach you is the mere essence of journalism- life. J-School (a.k.a journalism school) is not only about the grades and work. It is a world that aims at preparing you for the most unexpected. With each report or story, we tend to discover newer aspects of our self. You not only learn how to say it but also how to say it effectively to a large group of people. I still remember how our faculty had warned us of the work load that the course could offer. I bet no student believed her. But today after nearly 20 weeks of hard work I am convinced that no media person can ever make  it big without a love for the field and the determination to get the job done.
         As a child, I wanted to be a 'war' journalist. And I would fancy being amidst ammunition and smoke. Today, I want to cover the arts. Or may be research on some of the tribal groups in India. That is what journalism is. It is all about the open mind, the thirst for finding out more and to reveal the truth in a fair way.
All of us entered the compound of the J-School with pre-conceived notions of such a career. Each one of us thought of it as a world that would offer us luxuries beyond explanation. The truth? It is the opposite of all that. Travelling far and wide, we journalists are perhaps better tourist guides than those stationed at monuments. Punctuality has become our middle name for nothing is acknowledged without a tinge of timeliness.
        May be there is a lot we need to learn after all. We need to do all that we have to before we hold that microphone and say "back to the studio."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hear you

This is an attempt at poetry after a gap of nearly 17 years. _________ I hear the noise around me The rage, the anger, and the hate A...