Thursday 9 April 2015

Flashback

He held my hand and told me how much he cared. "I am a stupid and clumsy girl," I said. "It doesn't matter," is what he said. When I woke up the next day, it all seemed like nothing more than a dream. Now, that we are far apart, I can only hope for a moment when I would feel as safe or special with a that unique someone.

My father always said that the one thing that you can never forget are memories - good or bad. Our past plays a rather significant role in determining our next step. It influences our choices, or ability to judge and most of all, our personality. Be it a relationship during those hail days at college or during the initial years as a working person or even those rough fights in your neighbourhood. While the incidents seem crystal clear in the mind, reality depicts otherwise. They were a part of book that had too many action-packed chapters. The final chapter of those novels led to several new ones.

To me, these flashbacks remind me of the journey that helped me discover myself. Yes, I have flawed and I have done many wrong things. But the presence of a few brought the good that was hidden within me into the light of day. It was as if I had let my own light shine and had unconsciously let the others do so too. I might have broken a heart or two. I have indeed had a few shattering moments too. Did those moments make me cry? A few did. But the others motivated me to ask for more and discover more - about the world; about me.

History repeats itself. You cannot stop things from happening to you again. But what does the past teach you? One thing and one thing alone. To cherish all that you have. No matter how short-lived it may be. So do I fear taking the next step? Am I the grown up many yearn me to be? Well, no. I was, am and will always be a child. Children do not understand fear. I, thus, will never hesitate to hold my head high and take the next step forward. But I guess, I must learn to cherish all that I have. Good or bad. It is the only way to head towards being a better and complete person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hear you

This is an attempt at poetry after a gap of nearly 17 years. _________ I hear the noise around me The rage, the anger, and the hate A...